Today, the Ateneo de Davao University at Jacinto Campus launched its observance of the 2014 Mindanao Week of Peace (MWOP) during the activity period. Despite the light to moderate afternoon rainshowers and a change of venue from the Open Field to the Thibault Atrium, a short launching ritual took place to kick off tomorrow’s official start of this year’s MWOP, initiated by the Arrupe Office of Social Formation, the Theology Department and the Campus Ministry Office.
The chair of the Theology Department, Mr. Lunar Fayloga, gave a short introductory message, providing the rationale for the afternoon’s celebration. Ms. Janice Camañan, program officer of the Student Servant Leadership Program (SSLP) of the Arrupe Office, recited an Exhortation on Peace, followed by a series of interfaith prayers offered in the Muslim and Christian traditions, given by Ahmad Aleef Pulong and Michael Leyson, respectively. Atty. Romeo Cabarde, chair of the University Community Engagement and Advocacy Council (UCEAC), was on hand to give the closing remarks. Mr. Rexor Amancio, an Arrupe Vol Batch 43, emceed the short launching ceremony that was participated in by members of the roster of Arrupe Vols, who came in their distinct blue and white Arrupe-inspired t-shirt. (The kickoff took place immediately after the candle-lighting ceremony put together by the Ateneo Public Interest and Legal Advocacy (APILA), the Guidance Center, and the School of Nursing, to commemorate this year’s World AIDS’s Day. As such, inclement weather made the two equally important celebrations share the same venue, one after another).
At any rate, the Mindanao Week of Peace (MWOP) is celebrated annually with the intent of advocating for peace in the island of Mindanao. This annual observance promotes the culture of peace as an authentic lived experience, a way of life, and a spirituality that traverses religious and cultural boundaries. Hence, the yearly MWOP celebration carries the hopes and aspirations of the people of Mindanao in the belief that achieving peace is tantamount to achieving progress and sustainable development in this particular region in the Philippines. For this year, the MWOP commences on 27th November 2014 until 3rd December 2014, with the theme “Pray for Long Lasting Peace in Mindanao: Give, Share, Live and Proclaim Peace.”
Some of the coordinated MWOP-related activities of the university are as follows:
- Launching Ritual at the Thibault Atrium, care of the Arrupe Office of Social Formation, the Theology Department and the Campus Ministry Office – 26th November, 3:40 p.m.
- Launching at the Matina Campus – 27th November
- Showcase/Exhibit on the Bangsamoro Basic Law, care of the Socio-Civic Clubs, at Finster Atrium – 27th November – 3rd December
- University Forum on “Updates, Issues and Concerns on the Bangsamoro Basic Law” with Atty. Mohammad Al-Amin Julkipli of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), care of the Arrupe Office of Social Formation, at Finster Auditorium – 28th November
- “Pakighinabi” on Interreligious Dialogue (by invitation only) with Fr. Patrick Riordan, SJ, care of the Theology Department, at the Community Center – 1st December
- “Pakig-ambitay para sa Kalinaw sa Mindanaw” (Part 1, by invitation only), featuring Mr. Mike Alon of IMAN, Inc. and Mr. Orson Sargado of Peacebuilding of the Catholic Relief Service (CRS), care of the Arrupe Office of Social Formation, at the Community Center – 3rd December
- Study Group Session on the Bangsamoro Basic Law and its effect on the Indigenous Peoples (by invitation only), care of Mindanawon – 3rd December
- Forum Workshop on the Bangsamoro Basic Law, care of the Davao Association of Colleges and Schools (DACS), in coordination with Al Qalam Institute, at F-213 – 5th December
- “Padayon sa Pakig-ambitay para sa Kalinaw sa Mindanaw” (Part 2, by invitation only), care of the Arrupe Office of Social Formation and Al Qalam Institute, featuring Fr. Roberto “Bert” Layson, OMI and Mr. Mike Alon of IMAN, Inc., at the Community Center – 15th December
Everybody is enjoined to participate in any of the activities in observance of the Mindanao Week of Peace 2014.